Monday, August 2, 2010

everlasting love

10 years ago, i bought a lavender jade bracelet in hong kong. it was tight enough to fit my left wrist securely and it was meant to stay on forever...that is until forever lead me to a work retreat and a masseuse who asked me to take the jade bracelet off and then....it fell off the chair it was placed on! look at the crack! i never wore it again because cracked jade is considered bad luck and i didn't want to mess with my luck. it now sits in my closet lonely and broken-hearted.


since that fateful day, my beady eyes were always on the look out for a bracelet of some sort. i'm kind of enamored with the idea of semi-permanent jewelry but not wanting to invest in another crackable item like a jade bracelet, i went without until....i discovered the cartier love bracelet! full on metal and cute to boot? hell yeah! go ahead and try to crack that you big bad chair with gravity as its accomplice!

so once my birthday rolled around, and i completed my second masters, and passed my comps, i had enough reasons to go on a vegas trip to splurge on myself one last time before i funnel all my efforts and resources on our wedding. i purchased this pink gold, size 16 cartier love bracelet on my berfday and have happily worn it since then.


i really LOVE LOVE LOVE it. the best part is that the pink gold looks lovely against my skin tone AND i have no fear of losing it. since this baby is rather shiny, i've been extra cautious about not scratching it up. but it's inevitable that new things don't remain new forever and i say so because i discovered my first scratch this afternoon :( but like a good relationship, it should be better with time and i look forward to the formation of a lovely patina on my bracelet as i rock it old woman style for many, many years to come. *happy sigh*

*******background info*******
cartier created this "love bracelet" in 1969 to symbolize everlasting and faithful love because the bracelet is locked on with two screws that fits the bracelet intimately to your wrist. they even provide a gold plated screwdriver in your metal color to complete the package. traditionally, your lover locks the bracelet on you and possesses the screwdriver to the bracelet. but if you're an independent lady and appreciate jewelry for the aesthetic value of it like me, then lover or not, this bracelet is quite gorgeous on the wrist. oh hell yeah i would buy it again!


ok, so the love bracelet is in that box, then what's in THIS BOX?!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

open open open! - dusty paws

Anonymous said...

love the cartier, oh, please spare the surprise on that tiffany box! ha ha

GC said...

How interesting! I didn't know there was lavender jade. That is an interesting tradition, that it is bad luck to wear cracked jade.

bagnatic said...

make up & pearls
this is me

haha, didn't mean to tease. been having computer issues with uploading pics and it doesn't seem wise to just describe it and not show it. i'll get on it right now.

gc- a naturally saturated lavender jade piece is very expensive. my bracelet had a "hint" of lavender to it. too bad it cracked :( and yes, bad luck to keep wearing that so my peoples say.

Kelly said...

Just found your blog through the purseforum. You complimented me on my new LOVE bracelet and I must say your RG is to die for! Check out my blog as well if you get a chance. I don't blog religiously but it's fun to speak my mind I will be following your blogs.

http://sharemyfinds.blogspot.com/